Did you know a typical website conversion rate is about 2.35% on average, and only about 22% of businesses are satisfied with their conversion rates?
If you fall within that 22% of business owners, this checklist will help guide you through the optimizations to make on your website to increase your conversion rate!
It is essential to optimize your website for conversions and set up your automated sales and nurturing funnels BEFORE you spend money driving traffic to it. There’s no point filling a leaky bucket!
Know Your Goals
Having a clear goal in mind is essential for the success of any website. This doesn’t have to be a complex document that gets shoved into a file cabinet never to be reviewed again. We recommend starting with 2-3 clear goals and breaking them down into tactics that you can monitor throughout the upcoming quarter. Here are some key things to consider when developing your plan:
- Determine your primary and secondary goals
- What action do you want visitors to take?
- Create contrasting colored buttons for the primary goal
- Segment audience/s for better results
- Have a clear path for your visitors
Build Trust and Authority
In a recent survey, 81 percent of consumers said they need to trust the brand to buy from them (Edelman, 2019). Your customer may not be ready to commit to whatever it is you’re offering, but a resource center, blogs, eBooks, freebies, testimonials, etc. will provide them with value and help to move them through your sales funnel. Adding credibility markers to your homepage will help develop a relationship of trust between you and your customers.
- Testimonials / reviews
- Case studies / success stories
- Partnerships or featured in (logos)
- 100% Money-Back Guarantee
- Blog, articles or learning centre
- Professional photos (not stock photography) Intro/explainer video from you personally
Use Branding to Be Compelling and Irresistible
Having a strong brand will improve your chances of getting new customers and increase the chances of repeat customers. For you to succeed in building a sharp brand image, you need to understand your customers. And in doing so, you need to humanize your brand. You need to think of your brand as something your customers can relate to and identify with. Here are some ways you can build a compelling brand identity:
- Professional logo
- Strong brand messagingGreat-looking design aesthetics
- Tell your story including your big WHY
- Build your personal brand into your business
- Clear and unique value proposition
- Benefit-driven sales copy
- Strong headlines and clear calls to action (CTA)
- Talk about how you solve prospect’s pains
- Create an irresistible ‘lead magnet’
- Offer incredible value-free in exchange for an email
- Surprise them with something special after opt-in
- Keep it quick and easy to consume
Make It Easy For Your Customer to Contact You
Contact information should be clear and easy to find everywhere on your site. Your customer should not have to search for the best way to get in contact with your business. We recommend implementing a couple of the following solutions:
- Phone number
- Social media icons
- Easy to find contact page
- Short forms
- Clear calls to action (CTA)
- Live Chat installed
Optimize Your Site for SEO
User experience is always the most important piece of your website because the content is made for a human! However, you have a lot of opportunities to optimize for SEO including:
- Proper inclusion and use of keywords
- Title tags, meta descriptions, H1, H2 headings Image Alt tags
- Geographic location data
- Mobile optimized site
Capture Your Leads
Don’t let all of this hard work go to waste. Now that you have a fully optimized website, you need to make sure you’re building relationships with potentially interested customers. Just because they leave your site does not mean they are not interested in doing business with you in the future – most likely, they require more touchpoints. Stay engaged with potential leads by including the following features on your site:
- Hello Bar
- A newsletter opt-in form
- A Lead Magnet
- Blog opt-ins
- Free quote request form or consultation popup lightbox
- Exit popup offer on leaving contact form
At Kevin Brown Design, we use a strategic marketing approach to take sites beyond beautiful design. With this strategy, we help you convert more visitors into leads and more leads to sales, ultimately increasing your profits. Our holistic approach to custom web design combines beautiful design with an intelligent marketing strategy.
Download your FREE website optimization checklist and start increasing your conversions today!